DIY | Play TeePee

627 Flares 627 Flares ×

Kingston’s birthday was last Sunday and one of his gifts was a very special play teepee (If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you might have already seen a peek at this). One in which I made my self, of course it made it 100 times better seeing how much both kids loved it after putting my own love into it. The teepee it self was so easy to make it was almost laughable, I mean cause it looks like it should be tough {and it’s no sew, easy peasy} .

I followed two awesome tutorial’s: Smile and Wave and Sew, Mama, Sew! you will find all the supplies and steps on these great blogs. Both pretty close, but really great and easy to follow. I used leather for everything, the lacing, securing the poles to the fabric and to eachother.

DIY play tee pee, diy kids teepee, homemade play teepee, 3 year old birthday gift Once I finally set King’s {automatically Harlow’s too} new teepee in the their room I finished the corner off with a little clothes line, a little carpet {more to act as something to help keep the poles from slipping on the hardwood}, and our little dollar store bird house craft mobile {keeping up the theme of keeping all our artwork handmade}. It’s currently the only totally finished corner in their room {and by default our fav}.

The day after I too these pictures I switched out the box holding the stuffies with a giant wicker basket  {which I’ve been having a hard time keeping the kids out of}.

xoxo

© 2011, HEART & HABIT. All rights reserved.

· September 26, 2011 · in Daily Dose,DIY

line

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

jenloveskev September 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

omgosh! look at how amazing it came out!! I am going to have to make this someday too. Wow! You are a super mom!!

michelle September 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

super cool brandy!! nice work momma!! your kids are the luckiest!!

Nani September 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

wow I love this! I have been wanting to make or purchase a teepee for Sae you have done an awesome job

Amanda September 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

What a cute idea! I bet they just love it :)

Amber September 26, 2011 at 11:03 pm

That looks amazing!

I seriously have a thing for Teepees! We bought one for Eva’s 1st birthday and she loves it! Here is a little peek:

Lucy, Dear Fish October 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This is such a fun idea! I wish I could make an adult sized one!

router cisco 1921 December 14, 2011 at 5:10 am

Useful info. Lucky me I found your website by accident, and I am surprised why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

Marilyn May 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I'm finishing up the teepee you posted. I have questions about hemming. Will the panels be the same length when I hem? And are the door panels shorter?
Your teepee is so cute. Thanks for this great project for our grandsons.

BabyBlackbird May 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hi! I actually left the hem of mine totally raw. Since I cut the fabric in a circle (most of the circle is on the bias) it has barely frayed a cm or two. I would suggest instead of hemming maybe bind the raw edges, you can buy binding tape from your local fabric store (cheaper to do this then make it). That way you won't loose any length. I cut my fabric in a circle, using this method: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2008/07/summer-sewing… – so the whole tent is one giant piece of fabric, and the doors are the same length as the rest of the teepee. Hope that helps!! It's really great, my kids love it!

Sandy September 29, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Can you add sizes of fabric and poles please?

BabyBlackbird October 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hi! You can find all that info in the tutorials I used, the links are included in the post.

Rachel February 13, 2013 at 12:37 pm

This is so adorable–thanks for sharing! DO you have any recommendations for buying the poles you used? They are 1.84 per foot at our Home Depot… not sure if there's a cheaper option! I'd love to hear it if you had one.

Amber December 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Your tee pee is adorable! Ok, so you used the "sew mama sew" tutorial? Is yours the 6ft size? Using 3 yrds by 60" ? I'm hoping the tee pee will be large enough for my husband or I to snuggle our toddler in it. Also, did you use a drop clothe or canvas? Thank you! I'm hoping to make for Christmas… :/

Haberdashery Fabrics February 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm

It looks so nice to have some, well my kids will indeed love it no doubt, I'll look forward to make one, just in time I got a perfect fabric for it.

sewing fabrics February 17, 2014 at 7:43 am

Thanks for posting this DIY. I recently bought a sewing machine and this will help me out to get things started.