HALF A DECADE

62 Flares 62 Flares ×

five year old boy, time flies when your a parent, kids grow fast, birthday boy, birthday traditions five year old boy, time flies when your a parent, kids grow fast, birthday boy, birthday traditions He’s five, a whole flipping hand old. Last night I looked at him and couldn’t believe that 5 amazing years have flew by so quickly. I have loved every single lovely and rough moment (looking back I always love even those moments we struggled) of his 5 years of life so much. And I am (bitter-sweetly) excited to see the big boy he’s going to become and even the young adult (probably in a blink of an eye) he will grow into. I am so proud of him everyday and love being with him, I love him because he is the best son I could ever dream of and simply he is one of the best people I have ever met in my life. I could spew on for days about what a fantastic little human he is, and I’m sure you would believe me. Half a decade with you my little King, I am beyond grateful to get to spend my days as your Mommy. Happy Birthday my dream boy!

Rainbow pancakes, loads of balloons in the morning and the same birthday crown every year, are just a few of our Birthday traditions. Simple but things I hold super dear and hope the kids will too.

And then came all the thoughts about time and how sweet and also what a b*tch she can be. I have been a Mom for 5 years, that alone is a crazy mind game. One of the most important days in my history, the day this boy made me a Mother. A day that feels like it happened only last year, actually happened 5 whole years ago! Then I looked around, looked down at my PJs they were leggings I bought just before I got pregnant with him and then continued to wear through both pregnancies – and now have migrated into my PJ drawer. I always just thought of them as being “my old leggings” that were maybe a year or so old – wrong. Most of my thoughts and memories feel like that, like it happened just the other week – but time is tricky like that or at least she’s always playing those tricks on me.

The other day someone called me a women, and I looked behind me. Me a woman? I still feel like a teenager, a teen Mom I guess – even though I know I’m not.  It’s weird and hard to explain, like somehow someone got my age wrong but also got it right. Time seems to be funny like that, as soon as life seems to get really really good (like when the kids started arriving) time just decided to put the pedal to the metal and totally screw with me. And then I wonder, is this how my Mom felt with me and my siblings growing up? Is this how you all feel? Time flies, but it also often feels like it’s standing still and then I get hit in the face (like today) with the fact that it has actually flown. I don’t know, today my mind is a rambling.

*last photo is a grab from my IG feed.

© 2013 – 2014, HEART AND HABIT. All rights reserved.

September 18, 2013 · Daily,Dear Diary,Mini Celebrity,REAL LIFE

line

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

yvette September 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Happy birthday!!! Love from your cousin Chris and Yvette <3

Mama's Secret September 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm

So heart warming. Your son is very handsome. We really need to treasure every minute and every second because 1 blink of an eye BAM! their not babies anymore their kids and then their teens and then their a young woman or a young man… arghh!! TIME

Heart and Habit September 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

So true!! Thank you!!

Kate September 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I know exactly how you feel! I have a two year old, but find myself looking at her, really looking at her and cannot believe the little person she has grown into. People tell you how fast your little ones grow, but until you really see it for yourself, you have no idea … the years definitely seem to go quicker with a little one in your life.

I also read a really wonderful article (my mum gave it to me to read) about feeling nostalgic as your kids grow older. As a mother you feel that sadness of them slowly becoming independent and not needing you as much as they used to, but at the same time enjoying watching them bloom into beautiful young people. Funnily enough as a child you don't feel any of that. I certainly don't remember as a child feeling nostalgic about getting older, but I am sure my beautiful mum did …

Thanks for your post & I love the rainbow pancakes! ;-)

Heart and Habit September 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank you! And you are so right, I think I started feeling nostalgic in my teens when I realized how awesome being a kid was.

Cin September 19, 2013 at 6:51 am

Happy B-day !!! :)

Mónica September 19, 2013 at 10:10 am

Is that when you have children the time flies going very, very fast. Congratulations to your little big man, mine 6 years old this Tuesday, we are already preparing to emotion. I love the crown poneis you year after year. Kisses and happy Thursday.

Heart and Habit September 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank you Monica!

TOI September 20, 2013 at 12:17 am

happy birthday! he is so grown. i remember stumbling on your blog and seeing a little three year old boy rocking his style. he's so cute, i love the picture of him on his new bike :)