My girl loves to carry bags, just like Mommy but also she likes to carry a ton of little toys and collect little treasures along our walks. She has a a little shopping bag, a backpack but no mini handbag – so I figured I might as well make one! I used scrap denim from a pair of old jeans (one of the left over legs from a pair of her bros jeans from a denim>cut off DIY ) and some leather I had from a past project and then I totally hand stitched the whole thing. So if you have limited sewing machine skills this little baby is still doable!
- A cut off leg from a pair of jeans (or any pants).
- Embroidery thread. I didn’t end up using this, but if you are into having cute colorful stitched details you might want.
- Suede or Leather cut into a flap shape. Cut to be the width of the denim, and then the length you want the flap (plus an extra 1″ for seam allowance) and cut the shape of the flap whatever you might want.
- Thread. I used a thick top stitching thread, stronger for sewing through suede and denim.
- Snaps. I didn’t end up using these either, but if you want to secure the flap on the bag to stay closed a snap or two would work great.
- Needle. For sewing.
- A smaller piece of felt cut into a pocket shape. I again didn’t end up using this, but thought you could add a small patch pocket inside or on the back of the bag.
- Suede or Leather cut into 1″ wide long strips.
- take the raw edge side of the piece of denim, fold the corners inwards as if you were wrapping a present.
- hand stitch two quick tacks on the folded edges to hold them in place.
- turn the entire piece inside out and hand stitch the frayed opening closed (or use a handy dandy sewing machine).
- flip everything back to right side out. The curved bottom will now be a fuller bottom, rather then slim.
- lay the flap you cut (in whatever shape and length you please), on top of the denim pouch you just sewed. the straight edge should match up with the straight edge of the top of the bag. hand stitch the flap to only the top side of the denim pouch.
- now flip the flap up, and hand stitch closer to the top of the denim pouch edge. this will make the back of the bag look pretty, hide the raw stitched edge and make sure the flap lays flat.
- now the flap will lay nicely and your bag is halfway done!
- take one of the straps, lay it along the side of the bag body. make sure one raw edge is placed right at the middle of the bag bottom.
- start hand stitching from the center of the bottom of the bag allll the way up one side of the strap. then once you get to the top, stitch back down the other side of the strap.
- stitch the other strap to the other side of the body in the same way.
- now stitch the two ends of the straps together.
And Taa Daa! A sweet little simple handbag, perfect for her to wear across her little body and fill with all her little treasures.
What do you think, would your little girl love her own handmade with love handbag?